When to Visit:
- The Atwood Museum is open for visitors on a regular schedule from Memorial Day weekend in May through October.
- In June, July, August, and September, the Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday. In October the Museum is open Friday and Saturday. See the detailed schedule here.
- While visitors are welcome to enjoy the Museum on their own, docents are available whenever the Museum is open to answer questions or guide you through the galleries. Visits to the 1750’s Atwood House are offered during regular hours by well trained guides.
- The Atwood Museum welcomes group tours and on occasion can accommodate them when the Museum is otherwise closed. For information about scheduling a group visit please go to the Group Tour page.
- Coming to do research in the Archives or Library? See the Research Procedures page. You need not come when the Museum is open to visitors; in fact, the best time to come for research purposes is off-season.
Getting to the Museum:
The street address is 347 Stage Harbor Rd, Chatham, MA 02633.
- By car: Put the above address into your GPS, or get more detailed driving directions on our Location & Directions page.
- Walk or bike from town or surrounding area: The Museum is one-half mile south of the Chatham town center. Take Stage Harbor Road from the traffic circle at the top of Main Street; follow it past Oyster Pond; just stay on Stage Harbor Rd. until you arrive at the Atwood Museum on your left. There are sidewalks for the first 4/10 mile, then you need to walk on the grass shoulder of Stage Harbor Rd.
Alternatively, come out of town on Cross Street; at the end of Cross Street take a left on Stage Harbor Rd, and the Atwood Museum is a quarter-mile further down Stage Harbor Rd on your left.
View a local map of this section of Chatham.
Biking this area is easy.
- The GPS location of the Museum is: N 41° 40.396 W 069° 57.914
(Latitude: 41.673274 Longitude: -69.965237)
At The Museum
- Visiting Time: Plan to spend an hour or two in the Museum; of course it is fascinating enough to spend twice that amount of time, but most visitors spend an hour or more inside the Museum. Spend another half-hour on the grounds exploring the North Beach Camp, and Chatham's Twin Light.
- Tour the Old Atwood House. Tours are with a docent, and are included with admission to the Museum.
Spend Time in Chatham: